Sunday, April 4, 2010

Synergic Leadership

As I prepare for a visit from a friend and colleague from China, I marvel at our different approaches to leadership and our synergy as well. My friend and I have great respect and appreciation for each other, and those go a long way toward developing synergy.

When we can work together in ways that build on our differences, we actually strengthen and expand what we can achieve. The hard part is when our differences clash and we shore up our positions to make ourselves Right.

Being right is a trap that catches us over and over. Anyway, that's my opinion and if you disagree, I'll argue with you!

Learning to inquire when we're triggered isn't easy. Synergic leadership says, "Wow, you disagree with me! Where are we different? How can I learn from you?"

Even if we take it on as an experiment, I think it's a helpful practice to inquire rather than to become rigid and Right. Where do you disagree? What can I learn here?